- In the Veggie Garden: Compost with premium compost
- Plant another round of brassica species
- In the Lawn: aeration, compost, and brown patch prevention
- Cover Crops
- Plant Trees and hardy shrubs. It’s the best time of the year to do so.
- Mulch flower beds and trees. Mulch volcanoes are bad, mulch donuts are good. No cypress mulch, use aged double ground native hardwood mulch.
- Have Frost Cloth Handy: No lollipops. Drape the ground to trap heat.
After First Hard Freeze:
- Cut back perennials that die to the ground such as salvias, esperanza, pride of Barbados, and lantana.
- Don’t cut back: roses or woody perennials (salvia greggii) and evergreens. Wait until mid-February